Rovagnati’s Animal Welfare standards for pigs
1. NO ANTIBIOTIC USE FROM BIRTH
From birth to slaughter, the animals are given no antibiotics except for their own protection. In those specific cases, a strictly controlled dosage of the drug is administered, and the required withdrawal periods are adhered to in order to ensure no residual traces of the drug. In the Naturals supply chain, the animal to which the antibiotic has been administered leaves the project but is raised together with other animals that are not part of the Naturals supply chain.
2. NO NEUTERING WITHOUT ANAESTHESIA AND ANALGESIA
Neutering without anaesthesia and analgesia is forbidden within the Rovagnati supply chain, as is chemical or chemical-based castration, in accordance with European legislation. Within the Naturals supply chain, animals are not castrated.
3. NO TEETH CLIPPING
The practice of teeth clipping is forbidden for all pigs in the supply chain, in accordance with European legislation.
4. NO AMPUTATIONS
Ear-notching is always forbidden for all pigs in the Rovagnati supply chain, as is tail-docking in general, in accordance with European legislation.
5. SUITABLE ENVIRONMENT
The Rovagnati supply chain ensures a 30% increase in space over baseline density criteria. The following are the specifications required for livestock environments in order to ensure positive living conditions:
• attention must be paid to feed quality and quantity in all our supply chains;
• slatted flooring may be used but solid flooring is guaranteed for the animals’ sleeping areas within the Rovagnati supply chain;
• environmental enrichments must be used, in accordance with European legislation, for animals in all our supply chains.
6. FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT BEFORE FARROWING
Sows are guaranteed freedom of movement up to 7 days before farrowing, in accordance with European legislation.
Our supply chains Animal Welfare